Thursday, May 20, 2010

Colorado, Mesa Verde National Park - Balcony House





























Balcony House is the most adventurous cliff dwelling tour and involves climbing a 32 foot ladder to enter the dwelling. At the exit you crawl through a 12 foot long by 18 inch (yes inch) wide tunnel,












followed by a 60 foot climb up the OPEN CLIFF FACE using two 10 foot ladders and a series of stone steps.

Nancy handled the ladders and steps and Cliff House with ease, but Balcony House proved to be a bit more challenging and THRILLING! Once you embark up the ladder to the dwelling there is no turning back. About half-way up I thought "What did I get myself into!" A death-grip on the rungs and at a snail's pace....I made it! Exiting through the tunnel easy, but stone steps on the open cliff face to exit was another thrill. Anyone can do it or the Park wouldn't be doing it....but because I'm afraid of heights, I really had to push past my fears.


No comments: