Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2009 01 06 Malibu Beach, Bridgetown, Barbados

Barbados is the Easternmost of the Caribbean Islands, discovered in 1536 by the Portuguese. The island covers 166 square miles.

After breakfast on the ship we took a short bus ride to Malibu Beach in Barbados. The weather was sunny and clear, with a nice breeze. Malibu Beach is also home to the Malibu Rum Company. You can tour the distillery or simply enjoy the soft golden sand and blue water at the beach just beyond the distillery. A complimentary sample of rum is of course optional – we enjoyed ours.

The area wasn’t crowded even though there was another cruise ship in port. This ship catered more to families, but it was still nice to see the little ones enjoy the sand and water.

There were jet-skis and catamarans and other sorts of watercraft all around. Locals offered a sample “foot rub” – one hour $20. We pulled down our hat and adjusted our sunglasses pretending to sleep, but they persisted. Finally we said “no money” “we left all our money on the ship” and soon they moved on to the next group of targets.

We lounged in the sun and walked on the beach. Nancy got hit-on by one of the local young fellas. “Where you from?” he asked. “Texas” she replied. “They have nice girls there?” he questions. I reply – “some nice, some not so nice”. He begins to follow me down the beach and within a minute or so asks “you wanna boyfriend?” He couldn’t have been more than 17 – and I pick up the pace. “No, no, no – I have a husband…..I’m married, I’m a grandma”….. He started making me nervous, so I bent down and picked up a big chunk of coral. I looked at him and said “isn’t this lovely?” but thought to my self, if he keeps this up it might just land upside his head. I turned around and started walking back to the lounge chairs looking for Joe. Pretty soon he wandered off. I wasn’t afraid, but it was a little creepy.

Before long, the day was over. We stopped at the Port Terminal and for a couple of 6 packs of Coke to take back onboard. It was time to wash off the salt and sand and nap.

No comments: